Forever a date special to our hearts.
His Birth Story:
.......................
My due date was Friday July 24th. I officially
quit my job that week. Monday morning I woke up and was ready to have a baby. I
had no work, no school, nothing to do, nowhere to be, I was ready to become a
mommy. I spent the week running around doing last minute task, re cleaning what
I had cleaned two weeks ago, slowly adding larger baby clothes to the hospital
bag each passing day. I had a dear friend Kylee who was a few weeks behind me,
who would meet me at the pool each day. I swam laps, walked, walked and walked
some more. Austin and I braved the 100 degree heat and hiked 3 miles in the
foothills. At this point I was not having a single contraction. I felt GOOD. I
was sleeping like a baby, my body didn’t hurt and I was cruising. This was more
of a mental challenge. Austin and I knew once the baby arrived, work was over
and we could just spent the day’s home together.
Friday July 24th arrived. NO sign of baby at all.
I realized “I feel good, im sleeping, im happy why the heck am I trying to kick
this sweet boy out, today is declared chill day!” My sister ally told me, “he
will come when he is ready, and not a day sooner!” That stuck with me. So
Friday and Saturday Austin and I really did just hang on the couch, watching movies
and eating treats, really a dream. The last time as just the two of us!! Must
have been my trick… Saturday night we were heading over to Kamerons homecoming
open house. I showered around 5pm… and realized my stomach was having some
lower pain. I had been having some menstrual like cramps for a few weeks.. but nothing
I could time. I realized this pain was not consistent (yahoo!) and I could
maybe even time them! I specifically remember getting out of the shower,
sitting on my bed (a day past my due date) and thinking …could this be it?? I
had worked so hard to get these contractions all week, but now that it was
happening I couldn’t even believe it. So I quickly download a contraction ap
and started to time them! 3 minutes apart! This must be it. I decided I did NOT
want to be in labor at the Denison’s during a party ha. So I went and hung out
at my parents house. My mom, Ally, Heather and Krystin were all there. I told
them the news! Everyone was thrilled. We went for a walk the 4 sisters, missing
Kayla, still timing them about 3 minutes apart but never longer than 30 seconds
to 45 seconds. The pain was not bad, but enough I could hit my start and stop
button J Austin
would text me all night from Denison’s “How are you doing??” I would say same,
not much pain. He would respond “dang!” haha we wanted pain!! We wanted progress.
Austin picked me up that night around 10 and we headed home. I was nervous to
fall asleep, I did NOT want them to stop. I slept on and off while the
contractions were still about 10 minutes apart.
We woke the morning of July 26th and they had
slowed. Austin asked when we woke up “how are you doing? Having a baby?” I
said, “they are far apart we need to go on a walk immediately!” 8:30 am we
hooked Hadley up (for what was her last walk in a LONG time little did she know
ha!) for a walk. We walked to the school, the contractions were about 5 min
apart. Better but I wanted to feel more pain, I knew these were not hard enough
for progress. I squatted down 2 or 3 times at the park to pick up a stick to
throw to Hadley. After a while we headed home. On our way home there is a hill.
I told Austin lets do some hill repeats! We walked up to the top, and down
again. At the bottom I looked at Austin a little defeated and said “well that
sucked, that hill did nothing, it even made me skip some contractions.” We
headed home… a few blocks from the hill I realized I felt something wet. I kept
it to myself a few steps. “could I be peeing my pants, that sucks!” Then each
step, warm and wet. I finally told Austin “UH….. either my water is breaking or
im peeing my pants like a 5 year old!” We laughed but didn’t think much of it….Until
we got to our front yard. I actually looked down, the water had leaked down to
my ankles, and my pants were soaked ha!! I showed Austin and this is when it
hit us both like a punch in the face… the baby is coming!!!! This is
happening!!
I was calm. I was thrilled and excited!! I was terrified! And
nervous.
Austin was excited, and moving 100 miles per hour, a little
bit like a chicken with his head cut off. Getting the last minute things done
as I directed him what to do ha! We text my sisters and mom! Ally says take a
shower and head in!!!! IT WAS HAPPENING. I was still calm, I did NOT want to
sit in the hospital all day in early labor. I wanted to do much at home. Austin
was anxious to get checked in… so after about an hour, a shower, we loaded the
care and headed to the hospital!!! Funny side note: we had a red box, I was
like “lets return that on the way..” Austin had the pedal to the floor and was
like “no way! We are going straight to hospital!” haha that’s how we were both feeling.
I could wait it out a lot longer, I was so nervous! He couldn’t get there fast
enough.
We go to triage, this point my contractions had stopped! They
check me.. at a 4, it was my water and I was admitted! Then the waiting game commenced.
From Triage at 10am-5pm (ish) all Sunday my contractions were not very painful,
not very consistent. It was a mental game ALL day to sleep and rest while I can
because the baby was coming soon regardless. Or to walk, bounce and start
pitocin to get things going!! Finally by 8 pm, the doctor (on call) started the
pitocin, about 12 hours after my water broke. Xander was not loving labor and
the pitocin did not make him very happy. So we actually only had it on for half
an hour, and turned it off. Luckily that was just what my body needed to kick
into active labor! They checked me, I was at a 6. It was now 10 pm and I was in
pain. I had NO techniques to deal with this pain. I laughed through them for a
little, laughing at how un prepared I was. I had my mom, ally, heather, Krystin
and Austin there to cheer me on. I would close my eyes tight, and squeeze the
side bar. Contractions about 3-5 min apart lasting 1 minute each. I knew
without a doubt I wanted the epidural for the pushing part… So finally at 11pm
a 6.5 I was like why the heck do I not have that yet ha! (I was nervous it
would slow me down.. silly thought). So 11 pm I got the magic gold! Unfortunately
it took a couple pokes ha! (and the thought crossed my mind, what if I can’t
get the epidural, what if this doesn’t work!?) Before my feet even turned back
onto the bed from sitting up, the pain was gone! Its like a miracle I swear. I
even turned a little loopy, I imagine what I would feel like on drugs a little
bit. My sisters and mom left (to their cars and on call room!! Seriously how
amazing are they!!!) and Austin and I slept from about 11pm-3am. I slept with
the peanut ball between my legs.
At 2:45 am I woke up, literally feeling like
the baby was falling out. I start throwing stuff at Austin to wake him up, “Get
this ball out from between my legs, the baby is coming out!!!” I was sure haha.
(the one part of the epidural I hated, feeling like a dead animal on the table,
so helpless!) The nurse comes in, checks me. A 10, low and ready to
push!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I text everyone expecting they had 20 minutes drives, within
3 minutes they all walk through the door, a little sleepy but there at the drop
of a hat to meet the baby with me. I was overwhelmed with love and gratitude. Austin
was tired, but excited! He was confident he wanted to be up by my head NO where
else. He stood strong on my right shoulder, so loving and encouraging. I
started to push, had to wait for Doctor Davis on call to rush in… and 20
minutes later we met our baby boy!!!!!!!!!!
The experience is hard to even put into words. I was
thrilled and overcome with emotion. I was a mother. I had known him for 10
months, but to finally have him here with us, in our arms was amazing. Apgars
of 8 and 8 ! It’s truly a miracle and a blessing. Austin cut the cord and we
had our baby in our arms. My family left and it was just the three of us (and 4
am ha!) Xander Leon. He has been a true joy since that moment. We had our son,
July 27th at 3:25 am and our hearts will never be the same!
No comments:
Post a Comment